Tuesday, November 29, 2011

HOW-TO-TUESDAY: rosemary butternut apple soup

It's the time of year when all I want to eat is soup.  Do you ever feel that way?

Here's a very simple recipe that tastes de-lish-us!  And also happens to be one of my very favourite fall recipes..... YUMMMMM!

ROSEMARY BUTTERNUT APPLE SOUP


You'll need:

7-8 cups of peeled and cubed butternut squash
2-3 apples cubed (peeled or not, your choice)
2-3 cloves garlic chopped
1 medium onion diced
4-5 cups chicken broth
1 tsp rosemary
fresh ground pepper
salt

Here's the how-to: 
Throw everything into a large soup pot.  Bring to a boil, then simmer until squash is fork tender.  Here's where you choose how to finish the soup.  You can either mash with a potato masher and have a textured soup; or use an immersion blender and puree.  I like my soup a little chunkier, so I just use my potato masher.  You can also, at this point, add either cream, milk, evaporated milk, coconut milk or a neutral milk alternative (soy, almond, etc.) to give the soup a 'cream of' consistency.  Sometimes I add the milk, sometimes I don't.... I enjoy it either way.

This soup freezes very well.  However; here's a tip - freeze without the milk added, it tends to separate and look curdled when thawed and reheated.  Once thawed, heat the soup and add the milk at the end, warm it up, then serve.  Enjoy!

Have a fantastic Tuesday everyone  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment