Tuesday, November 22, 2011

HOW-TO-TUESDAY: homemade chocolate syrup

I don't buy milk through our school's milk program.... Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great program and fundraiser; but, with two kids (and next year three) to pay for.... it's an added expense that just doesn't fit into our budget.... I send cheese, yogurt or chocolate milk from home.... this is what works for us.

I also don't buy cartons of chocolate milk either.  It's not cost effective and it's just an invitation for the kids to drink it way too often, because once opened, it must be finished before it sours, right?  So, chocolate milk in our house comes from the plain skim milk we buy (which we always have an abundance of) and chocolate syrup.  I can control the amount of chocolate (sugar) that goes into every glass.... I like that. And, it's cost efficient.

Anyhow, if you're a baker, then you should have everything already in your cupboards to make this easy recipe....

Here's the how-to:

Whisk together in a pot,  1/2 cup cocoa, 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (or powdered sweetener of your choice), pinch of salt, and just over a 1/2 cup of water.   Bring to a boil then simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Let it cool, then pour it into a container and store in the fridge.  Should make just over a cup of syrup.  Use it just as you would commercially bought chocolate syrup.  Alternatively, you may also whisk this all together in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until the desired consistency is reached.  You can make this as thick or thin as you like.

The added bonus; YOU control the sugar and there are no added preservatives.... and if you ask my guys, they like it just as much as store bought.  WIN-WIN!

Have a fantastic Tuesday, folks   ;)

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I always like finding a way to make something in the stores myself in a healthier way. :) Yay!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/11/pinteresting-linky-party-week-fourteen.html

    ReplyDelete