Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yummy, I hope....

So, I've always loved the idea of canning my own food. In the past I've done some preserving; like freezer jams, apple butter, apple sauce, strawberries (frozen).... Well, yesterday, we took a trip to the St. Jacobs Farmers Market with some friends.... I love St. Jacobs and the market. It's a cute little town full of little shops surrounded by a very large Mennonite population, and the market is the largest I have ever been to. It's a feast not only for the eyes, but every other sense as well.

My kids love checking out all of the booths; food, craft, and everything else in between.

Anyhow, I've always wanted to try pickling beans.... Hot, spicy beans. I purchased some beautiful yellow beans for $3.... TONS of beans.... ok, so not TONS; but enough to do 2 quart jars. I just kind of winged the recipe. You know; 1 part vinegar, 1 part water, salt, peppercorns, hot chilis, LOTS of garlic and a sprig of dill in each jar, processing.

And, voila! Check it out!


If nothing else, they sure are purdy! I'll know in 3 weeks if I've got a winner or a flub.... Mr. Monkey is not totally convinced that my 'winging it' will pan out. Ahhhh, recipe-shmecipe, who needs one.... Ummm, maybe I should hold that thought for about 3 weeks....

Have a great day everyone ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment