Saturday, August 20, 2011

Birthdays and friends....

Mr. Middle Monkey has a birthday party to attend today for a girl he started junior kindergarten with.... they've remained friends for the past 3 years and they get along really, really well.

These relationships; you know, the boy-girl kind, are the relationships that we tell our boys are no big deal even if other kids think so. They're 8 and 7 now, and school is getting tough, and the separation of the sexes is beginning. Boys are only allowed to play with boys, and girls with girls. A silly rule made up by some kids, and a rule that they (boys and girls) use to keep their friends from playing with children of the opposite sex. The point we make to them is that people like different people for different reasons, and that it's important to surround yourself with people you like and who like you.... it doesn't matter if they're boys or girls, what matters is that they are friends.

My boys both have good friends who are girls. And as parents, we are very proud of that. They are showing that they can think for themselves and not really care what their other friends think. Hopefully this is something that will stick with them right through their high school years when the peer pressure is at its peak.... ok, lets put on the brakes.... I don't even want to think about high school and the dating and the driving and all of the other bad things I did, I mean, that other kids did in high school ;)

Aaaanyway.... Mr. Middle Monkey picked some pretty unconventional gifts for his friend E. Which I am also proud of.... he could have just picked a girl toy; but he decided on a really funky throw pillow for her bed, some equally girly puffy polka-dot wall decals, a flowery journal, and of course our favourite pictionary card game. He also asked me, THIS MORNING, if I could make something from my 'store' for her. I love that he is so proud of what his Mommy does, and I have HUGE issues with not being able to come through for him (or any of my monkeys).... so-o, since I couldn't just 'whip-up' a skull and crossbones hat in the colours of his choice this morning at 10:00am and have it ready for 1:00pm.... I hooked up something that looks like a little more work than it really is but is really cute and useful too.... A neck warmer that looks cool with a denim jacket for fall and is still very functional for winter weather....


Hopefully she likes his gift, he was sure she would love the 'lots of colours pillow'....

Here's a close-up of the neck warmer....


The buttons were hand picked by Mr. Middle Monkey, and are not just for decoration....


I think I might just need one for myself.... Have a great day people ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment