Sunday, September 19, 2010

Oh! Apples....

Every year, the second weekend in September, is the Apple Harvest Festival in the little village of St. George.... We picked up my BFF Tasha and her two little men and headed to the festival in our family bus... it always amazes me how excited kids get when they get to travel in the same vehicle with their friends... it's one of those little pleasures that makes my heart smile...

Every year I make a point of taking the monkeys to this event just to get an apple donut, so yummy and cinnamon-y, this time Tasha treated us to this delectable small wonder... I myself did not indulge in one... but did have a nibble of my Hammy's... just a little taste, that's all I needed ;)

So we walked the festival and checked out all that was there, the boys all crammed into the hydro truck bucket and headed for a ride in the sky, hot dogs and pop were had, and cider and apples were bought... then we headed for a cup of tea at Tasha's Mom and Dad's place...

Such a fun morning with friends, the only downfall was that Daddy had to work... and was pretty upset that we didn't bring him home a candy apple... but in our defense, we didn't have one either... I opted for treating the boys to a hot dog lunch (I know, the nutritional value of that lunch was somewhat lacking, but every now and then as a treat it's worth it)...

As I said earlier, I did buy apples... a big bag, and this is what has become of a great number of them...


...apple butter, actually canned properly and not just being thrown in the freezer... and a huge jar of applesauce, I could eat that whole jar in one sitting :O

I'll still take the kids to pick apples in a week or so and we'll make more applesauce to store for winter... I really like the idea of preserving food... it's very satisfying and I feel like I'm doing something good for my family... the only drawback for me, is the lack of storage space for preserves, I don't have a cold cellar and every square inch of our basement has been planned for already...

Anyway, enough, time to go enjoy this beautiful day... have a fantastically sunny Sunday everyone ;)

1 comment:

  1. YUM in my tum! You're such an over-achiever to have already "sauced-up" your pommes! And, since presentation is (almost) everything - look at those c-u-t-e little jars! Love 'em!

    Thanks for driving the bus! ;)

    ReplyDelete