Sunday, December 19, 2010

Warmth-on-a-cold-day soup....

So, here's a SUPER easy recipe for a SUPER yummy soup that really is hands-off.... now that's my kinda soup.... easy-peasy, no-thinking-involved....

And to be honest, I don't really have a name for this soup, so if you'd like to make one up, feel free.... For now I'll call it....

Pond-Hockey Soup because that's what we were doing the day I made it....

2 generous size boneless pork chops, cubed
1 parsnip, peeled and cubed
1 small zucchini, cubed
2 carrots, cubed
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 19 oz. can of diced tomatoes
4 cups of broth, chicken or veggie
1 tsp dried oregano
baby spinach
fresh basil
parmesan
fresh cracked pepper and sea salt to taste

Throw the first ten ingredients in the crock pot in the order they are listed. Cover and set to low temperature. Let it cook for 8-10 hours. Seriously, it's that easy.

When serving, tear 2-3 fresh basil leaves and a handful of baby spinach into each bowl, ladle soup over top.... the basil gives a huge pop of flavour, sooo much better than dried basil.... sprinkle a generous amount of parmesan (freshly shredded is best, but if you're like me, freshly shredded is just too darned expensive) on top with some fresh cracked pepper and sea salt.... So good on a cold day :P

And, by the way, I would have taken a picture if I hadn't eaten it all up.... it's seriously THAT good, I didn't think you'd want to see a picture of my empty bowl.... Let me know what you think....

No comments:

Post a Comment