Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pancake mornings and a mixed bag....


Pancake school day again... so since my little men and little lady love these pancakes so much, I feel obligated to share the pancake love... I found this particular recipe on my favourite-favourite recipe site, all recipes.com. And the reason it's my favourite site is because all of the recipes are rated and reader reviewed... LOVE that. So here it is....

Fluffy Pancakes submitted to allrecipes.com by Kris
3/4 C. milk
2 tbsp. white vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 C. flour (I like w.w. and w. blend)
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt (I omit, but it's up to you)
1 egg
2 tbsp. melted butter (I use becel)
cooking spray (I use a non stick griddle & no spray)
1 tsp. cinnamon (this is my add-in, we love cinnamon)

Combine the milk and vinegar/lemon juice and set aside while preparing the remainder of ingredients. (You could also just use a little more than 3/4 C. of buttermilk, essentially the sour milk takes the place of buttermilk)

Combine all dry ingredients and whisk to break up any lumps. Whisk egg and melted butter into milk then pour into dry ingredients. Mix until moist and there are no visible floury bits... but don't over mix!!!! Let sit for about 5 minutes or so... chemical reactions will take place... and when you return to the batter it will have risen and be full of bubbles (that's the air that makes them fluffy!!!).

I usually set my griddle to 350 degrees, I think that's about medium on the stove-top. If your pans or griddle are too hot the outside of the pancakes will cook too fast and become too hard by the time the middle has cooked. Pancakes need a little time to cook, so be patient... I guarantee these pancakes are delicious! I can usually only get about 7 medium sized pancakes from this recipe... which is perfect for 2 growing boys and their girl-baby sister.
OK... so on to other things, yesterday was a very productive day (craft-wise, that is)... the corking project is still being corked... I started and finished a crocheted hat yesterday... finished a scarf for my skinny little man, also crochet... did a re-con (reconstruct) on a pair of overalls that had stains on the legs for girl-baby, she now has an uber-cute skirt-all with ruffled trim... and last night... after dinner.... CRASH!!!! I did nothing. Ask me if I feel bad about it.... I don't. Not really!
Today... more crafting and playing with babes...I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment