Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mmmore Mmmini Mmmuffins....


More muffins!

I LOVE to bake... you may or may not know this by now... And it's difficult for me not to bake when I have three little babes cheeping like baby birds in a nest with their mouths open wide waiting for mama to feed them... And I prefer to bake for the kids myself as I can control what goes into whatever I'm making... anyway...

Carrot Bran Muffins
(I know, you're thinking yummy bran muffins??? But they are, really!)
1-1/2 C. flour (again, your particular blend)
2 C. flakes of bran cereal (I say flakes of bran because I buy a store brand... cheaper)
3/4 C. brown sugar (or white, or splenda)
1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
dash of salt
1 egg
2 tbsp. white vinegar
3/4 C. milk
2 tbsp. oil
1 apple grated with skin (or 1 motts unsweetened applesauce cup-roughly 1/2 C. applesauce)
1 large carrot grated (about 1 C. grated)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare your pan.

To your 3/4 C. milk, add the 2 tbsp. of white vinegar and set aside... this makes sour milk which is a great and cheaper substitute for buttermilk. You could also use lemon juice in place of the white vinegar.

In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients ensuring there are no lumpys in your flour, soda and powder... a wisk will break up any lumps and bumps.

By this time, your milk will be ready to use... add the egg to the sour milk and beat with a fork til egg is mixed in. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients along with the oil, mix until moistened then fold in the apple or applesauce and carrots. Fill your muffin cups to just below rims, this ensures great muffin tops (my favourite part!!).

Throw them in the oven and bake... baking times will be dependant upon the size of muffins you make... my oven bakes minis in about 8-10 minutes... when you just start to smell the muffins, do the spring test (press a finger gently in the middle of a muffin... if it springs back up, they're done... if it doesn't, they're not... easy peesy weesie!)

Happy Baking... let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment